Everyone has unique personalities and travel styles. Discovering your travel personality will help you determine what style of vacation is right for you so you can fulfill your travel goals.
What type of traveler are you? I have been a travel consultant for 16 years now. Based upon common traveler types I have noticed over the years, I have come up with 6 distinct Travel personalities. Of course, some people might fall into a couple or even several categories since different trips serve different purposes for travelers. This post is all in good fun so I might have missed a travel personality or exagerated some of the types. You might even find that you started out as a Hummingbird early in life but have become a Sloth over time.
If you find yourself saying “Relatable” to most of the phrases below then you just might have found your travel personality. Again, as mentioned some people (like me) will find they relate to a few categories. Please let me know which category BEST matches your travel personality at this time.
Are you a Sloth, Spider Monkey, Scarlet Macaw, Hummingbird, Butterfly, or Sea Turtle?
THE BUTTERFLY– I have never met a stranger
– The stranger you sat next to on the plane knows all about your crazy Uncle and how much sunblock you packed for your vacation.
– You are the first AND last one singing at the Karaoke bar.
-You give a shout-out to 15 staff members by name on Tripadvisor when you return home from your trip.
– A great vacation is determined more by the friendliness of the staff and fellow guests than it is about the rooms or restaurants.
– You always have a story to share no matter what subject is brought up in a conversation.
– Your hotel room is not important because you are never in it!
-You rarely travel alone and wherever you go the party goes with you.
THE SLOTH– Beach chair+Book=Vacation
– You packed 6 books for vacation but worry it wont be enough.
– You put headphones in your ears as soon as you board the plane so the person next to you won’t try to talk to you.
– Your idea of vacation is moving as little as possible away from your beach chair.
– You have your “person” with you and everyone else fades into the background.
– Private bungalows with your own pool and 24 hour room service, where you would hardly have to see another guest the entire week sounds like heaven to you.
– Megaresorts with loud music and thousands of people sound more like work and less like a vacation.
The Hummingbird– Always in motion
– You have pre-booked 5 excursions for your 4 day vacation.
-You have a laminated hour-by-hour itinerary for your trip
– You have a travel bucket list that would take multiple lifetimes to check off.
– You are determined to see ALL of the highlights for a destination in 4 days.
– You coined the phrase ” I need a vacation from my vacation”
– You take more pictures than the paparrazi while on vacation
-You are often found wandering a city with map and selfie stick in hand.
The Spider Monkey- Athletic and Health Conscious
– Top question you have before booking a trip is how nice is the gym
– You have not sat down in 20 hours. Who has time with windsurfing, parasailing, kayak tours, and waterskiing?
– You only travel where they offer Vegan and Non-Gmo foods to fuel your many activities
– Goat Yoga is on your bucket list
– While on vacation, you go for a 2- hour sunrise jog as a warm up for your day.
– Your juicer takes up half of your suitcase but you can’t leave home without it.
– You are frustrated that you cannot find travel-sized organic biodegradable sunscreen.
– Backpacking up the Piton Mountains in 90% humidity sounds like a perfect way to spend the day.
-You have barely seen your room the entire vacation other than to sleep.
THE SEA TURTLE- Nature-Lover, Cultural Guru
– You have prebooked the Temazcal Mayan Ceremony months before your trip to Mexico.
-You are NOT a tourist. You strive for authentic Cultural experiences.
– If the resort is advertised too much or too popular, you are not interested. You are always seeking unique hole-in-the-wall resorts and experiences.
-You are not concerned with Wi-Fi or creature comforts on your vacations.
– Your ideal hotel would be eco-friendly, locally owned, quaint, with furniture handcrafted from local woods. A place where the owner would stop by and have a beer with the guests on occasion.
-You can often be spotted with your guitar and bohemian style clothing.
The Scarlet Macaw- Fashion Foward One-Uppers
– You are always trying to impress your friends by going to the most exotic locales.
– You use Yelp to dictate every meal choice even if the menu is unappealing.
– You pack three suitcases for a 5 day beach vacation
-Stilettos are appropriate shoes to wear for travel days in the airport.
– You spend an hour applying full makeup and lots of hair product before going to the pool.
– You have a HUGE social following so everyone knows the good, the bad and the ugly about your vacation.
– You love beach vacations but would never actually touch sand or saltwater.
– You travel to see and be seen.
– You want to be pampered and live like a rockstar on vacation.
-Your hotel room is everything.